Friday, December 11, 2009

turning the tables

By the way," I ask. "Was it you who wrote that article in The Zimbabwean on Sunday?"

I've 'phoned a well-known political analyst for his comments on this week's party congress. A lecturer at the main University of Zimbabwe, he's the commentator EVERYONE calls since Professor Masipula Sithole died. I've spoken to him often, but am almost certain he doesn't have a clue who I am.

He gives me the soundbites -- he's good at them, he knows what's required -- and then we chat for a few moments.

"Yes it was," he says, surprised.

"I enjoyed it," I say. It was a small piece, on disciplining kids. "I have my own child and it made me think."

"Precisely," he says. (I guess he means that's what it was meant to do). He chuckles with pleasure. "That's great. Thankyou for saying that. Thankyou. Darling."

No comments: